We set up this seminar as one of our feeder lakes had blue-green algae and our water testing indicated poor water quality in that same lake as well, as the Severn Sound Environmental Association recorded poor water quality. COVID-19 has prevented us from gathering to hear these experts in person. But they all have submitted presentations that you can view on your own
Through our advocacy the Township set up a septic re-inspection program and they included articles on Blue-Green Algae and Septic Systems in their 2020 Newsletter. Additionally, we included many articles pertaining to the environment in our annual magazine including FOCA's "The Healthy Shore List". We now have an Environment Committee. COVID-19 has prevented us from gathering to hear these experts in person. But they all have submitted presentations that you can view on your own.
1) Aisha Chiandet - from Severn Sound Environmental Association -She has submitted a video that addresses identifying algae, including blue green algae, how to prevent algae, shorelines, maintaining the septic system and what to do when one encounters algae. Aisha will be including visuals and the resources from the Severn Sound Environmental Association. This presentation will be added shortly
2) Rebecca Willison, of the Muskoka Watershed Council, has developed a video presentation that provides information on their Algae Monitoring Program, Climate Change in the Muskoka area, and information on the initiatives and resources of the Muskoka Watershed Council.
They also have information on their website about apps for your smartphone that will help you discover your environment.
3) Township of Severn has composed a video about the new septic inspection program.
4) Township of Georgian Bay has submitted a power point presentation on their septic inspection program.
5) FOCA (Federation of Ontario Cottagers Association) has provided us with a link to a video about Healthy Shorelines.